Christmas is fast approaching, and we need your help. Many seniors living in long-term care will be spending the holiday season alone, feeling isolated and lonely. By making handmade holidays cards or setting up a Holiday HappyMail post box, you can help brighten a senior’s holiday.
The Holiday Happy Mail Program
Our Holiday HappyMail program brings joy to the elderly by distributing handmade holiday cards and letters to seniors in long-term care homes. Each card is designed and created by people just like you, and features a kind, handwritten messages that can brighten a senior’s holiday.
Want to join in on the holiday fun? Make up some handmade holiday cards!
Tips for Card Making
- Be creative! Using a blank card, create a design on the front of the card. Your design can be simple or as intricate as you want. Have fun with it!
- Be yourself- write a kind, sincere and joyful holiday/Christmas message. Do not address the card to anyone in particular. You could start with the simple greeting: “Hi there!”, “Hello!”, “Dear Friend” or “Hello, Friend.”
- Please avoid cursive and keep the text large.
- Please sign the cards with your first name
- Please leave the cards undated
- Please leave the envelope unsealed
You can drop off your cards at a local Holiday HappyMail post box. You can contact us to find the closest Holiday HappyMail post box location, or check out our Facebook page for more info.
If there isn’t a HappyMail post box located near you, we’d be thrilled if you set one up! Here are the steps:
1. Decorate a box: Use wrapping paper, paint, stickers- whatever you like.
2. Print out signage and attach it to the box (you can download the signs here)
3. Get permission to display the box in a suitable location: stores, schools, workplaces, libraries etc. *No home addresses please.
4. Let us know about the post box- please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and contact info, and the drop box location address.
5. Spread the word! Let your friends and family know about your HappyMail post box, and encourage them to create handmade holiday cards. Please post a photo of your post box and provide the box address on our Facebook page. Be sure to post on your social media accounts as well, and use the hashtag #holidayhappymail
6. Collect the cards: as the holidays draw nearer, we will get in touch with you about collecting the cards to be distributed at long-term care facilities
If there is no Holiday HappyMail post box near you, and you can’t establish one in your area, you can mail your cards to the address below:
Stay Gold Society
P.O. Box 21015
Manning Road Post Office
Please see the gallery below for card making inspiration (click on each image to zoom).
“Christmas is a tonic for our souls. It moves us to think of others rather than of ourselves. It directs our thoughts to giving.” ―B.C. Forbes